Monday, November 08, 2004

Nov. 5th – 6th – 7th, 2004

There are plenty of reasons to be discouraged and disappointed. It doesn’t seem like Tokyo University will allow me to connect to their network with my computer. The paperwork looks prohibitively annoying. The sofabed didn’t fit up our narrow staircase, so we’re out the shipping fee and had to cancel it. I still don’t have a bike, and Yahoo BB ADSL won’t be here for another ten days. And I’m still not speaking much Japanese.

Focus on the positive:
Maguro Ichiba – this restaurant chain is now my favorite form of fastfood in the world. It’s laid out like a Yoshinoya, with a U-shaped counter over which the staff hands your food. But that’s where the similarities end. Their specialty is not beef or pork over rice, but fish. Their version of ‘oyakodon’: salmon roe (ikura) and grilled salmon over seaweed and rice. With miso, Y750.
Tokyo Univ. cafeteria – Despite the fact that it’s underground and looks like a nuclear bomb shelter, this is a seriously good place to save money. I had a HUGE dinner set for Y600, including soup, grilled fish, and a bowl of chirashi-zushi. Free tea, and being surrounded by nerdy Todai students (almost all male at this cafeteria?) a definite plus.

Borrowing privileges at Tokyo University library – Whoot! I can take out 3 books! I was told that getting borrowing privileges would be difficult, so this is a pleasant surprise. Besides, the library has a room for watching CNN and CCTV (keeping an eye on the enemy I guess?).

Muji coffee maker, and Kinokuniya coffee – I have a picture of the coffee maker. No further comment needed.

Kinokuniya cranberry bread! A loaf for only 300 yen. (no picture, cuz I ate it) – Kinokuniya is a way-up-scale grocery store around the corner. I had to jostle for room in the aisles with elderly women dressed in fine kimonos.

Komazawa Kôen (park) – This was one of the sites for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, and is still a cool place to go to work out. I especially like the 2.2 km running course, and the fact that it’s only 2min 30secs from my house (jogging) makes me quite happy.

Don Quixote – Ok, so Tai says that this chain is being sued for unfair business practices, but ever since I visited the Shinjuku location, I have to admit that other stores have a reason to be scared. They sell just about everything, from the downright weird (cosplay outfits?) to the practical (I got a nice 2.1 speaker system for under Y4000.) Love my new subwoofer, but the neighbors probably hate it. Love this store cuz’ it’s open 24 hours and is CHEAP, but its competitors probably hate it.

Finally, on the 8th, my phone line is here - So give me a call whenever you feel like it.

As for my pictures, I put some under the jiyugaoka folder at:
http://photos.yahoo.com/gd1303

No comments: