Monday, November 22, 2004

Nov. 16th 2004

Finally got a bank account here, which wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. I guess I was holding back because of the perceived trouble it would entail. The folks at Tokyo Mitsubishi were ultra friendly, but in a way that absolutely prevents any form of personal interaction. I mean, ‘robotic and professional’ when I say ‘friendly’ perhaps. But they made it easy to get my bank book in a matter of 5 minutes.

Dinner today, since I’m watching my budget was fried eggs and tomatoes, a starving student standby. But considering that fruits and vegetables are much more expensive now in Japan than I have ever seen. With tomatoes costing about $1 each, this dish wasn’t really that cheap after all.

On TV, I somehow found myself watching some new anime called ‘Yakitate! Ja-PAN’
A fitting translation might be: “Freshly baked! Japanese BREAD!” But that neatly avoids a very bad pun: ‘pan’ means ‘bread’ in Japanese (it’s a loan word from Dutch). I guess it sticks to the genre of battle food anime.

Another show just taught me the right way to eat nigiri sushi. V6 were the guests on “Manner Cats” and they all failed in the eyes of three very severe looking judges. The most egregious infraction? Dipping the rice into soy sauce. (C’mon, I knew that already.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so? what's the proper technique? please inform us, the uncivilized, unwashed masses.

benkei said...

Well, it's pretty simple and elegant. Wipe your hands with the o-shibori (towel) that they hand you. Grab the sushi with your HAND, betwen your thumb and index finger. Then dip the short edge of the fish into the soysauce briefly, insert the entire thing into your mouth, and eat. You might have to wipe your hands afterwards again with the o-shibori.

The idea, they said was that since sushi is made by hand, it should be eaten by hand too. . .