Tuesday, February 15, 2005

I want my stone back.

I just registered my first shareware since 1997. Seriously, I just paid for some software that nobody would think of paying for. That's the thing with shareware; nobody seems to pay for it. If you just distribute your software, no matter how much you limit it's functionality, people rarely bother to pay you for it. This time, I just had to do it. I registered an Apple II emulator called 'Virtual ]['. It cost me $19, but the feature that pushed me over the top (into becoming a paying customer) was the emulated disk drive noises he put into it. It just didn't feel like a real Apple ][ until then. Now, I can play Infocom's Wishbringer again, and relive those magical moments I spent with that game in the chilly basement of my home (before my parents moved. now there's no basement). But the best part of that game was the packaging; it came with a white glow-in-the-dark molded plastic trinket, the 'Wishbringer' stone from the game itself. Now, that was classy.

A long time ago, I think it was 1989, I gave that glow-in-the-dark stone, plus my signature, to a friend named Sue. I'm not in touch with her, but I hear she's a successful lawyer now. I guess the stone paid off, but hell, that also means she doesn't really need it anymore. So, Sue, if you're listening, I want my stone back.

1 comment:

benkei said...

Oh no, you certainly need the stone, to play the game WELL.

Anyway, I was just thinking (and with my overactive imagination) that Wishbringer is thematically very Murakami-esque. Lost cats, subterranean tunnels, Grues (or INKlings?), mysterious women. . . and in the end, was it all a dream?