Tuesday, December 07, 2004

“Pearl Habor” (sic)

Dec. 7th, 1941: I was curious about some of the details of the Japanese surprise attack of December 7th 1941, so I did a google search. I misspelled it. Even so, I got all the information I wanted, and more. Ah, the wonder of infinity, and monkeys on typewriters (keyboards); without them the internet wouldn’t be quite as useful.

Job Interview: Went on a job interview today, and decided to wear a tie. I can’t say what company it is, and I’m far from certain to get the job, but it looks like a good opportunity to do something new. Like marketing. Which, by the way, is something I ordinarily despise. But I wonder if I could be good at it? The tough part I guess is maintaining a proper and ironic distance from it.

“I’m Home” on NHK: this is yet another manga-turned-drama, and it’s airing on NHK now. I first noticed the manga back in 2000, when it won a prize at the annual Tokyo New Media Awards. It’s got a creepy visual tool of portraying an amnesiac man’s family as faceless, by having them wear blank plastic masks. The idea is, I suppose, that he can’t remember them. But behind this visual gimmick is a story of a man forgetting and and thus able to refashion himself in order to do some things over again, and possibly do them right.

1 comment:

benkei said...

True 'dat. I'm convinced that marketing people themselves are usually hipper and more culturally aware than the audience to whom they're supposed to sell. I'm still amazed that a BMW ad used one of Brian Eno's atmospheric tracks off of 'another green world' for the BGM. To good effect too, I might ad(d). Maybe our generation is just coming into its own in the business/marketing world, but digging out the obscure musical reference makes dissecting marketing kind of fun. It also points to a degree of irony in the composition of the mass market ad; is the audience really expected to 'get it'?

BTW, I didn't take the job. Some unforeseen red tape. I won't go into detail. Because it might be dangerous for both you and me.