Monday, December 06, 2004

Comparison Shopping

Stopping in Shibuya to drop off a forgotten cellphone, I stopped by Sakuraya to pick up some blank CDs and other consumer electronics related goods. I noticed one thing: though most things are slightly higher in price than in America, those are mostly the big ticket items. Lenses and filters for digital cameras were a reasonable 1200 yen, while I spent more than $30 back at B&H Camera in NYC for the same thing. There’s always a question about the comparative quality of the items, but hey, I was looking for the cheapest, most basic filter to replace my lens cap. I also picked up a mini tripod, which was also about 1100 yen. It’s pretty sturdy, so I’m happy with it despite the fact that I could have bought an even cheaper one for 600 yen. Damn it looked flimsy though.

Tokyo University also has several small stores on its campus, including a coop where they happen to be selling Sharp electronic dictionaries for an amazing 8000 yen. I think they're slightly outdated, but probably better than the one I currently rely on. Anybody need one? Seriously, they're worth more than 20,000 yen ordinarily.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should become an importer/exporter