Sunday, May 29, 2005

Surgery in Japan

A few days ago, I went into the hospital here for a pre-surgery meeting with the anaesthesia department. There were about 15 of us, in a posh lounge/waiting area outside of the doctor's office. They told us to wait until 9:30am, whereupon someone dimmed the lights and started the powerpoint presentation. It was on anaesthesia and what to expect surgery to be like in their hospital (rather like the explanatory video in Battle Royale). Far too much information. I suppose the purpose is to generate a sense of participation, of being in control, for the patient. But I also felt a weird stress and sense of responsibility, lest I get some of the details wrong.

I mean, I don't even remember which of the white and blue cannisters is the oxygen, and which is the general anaesthetic. . . and then somehow, sometime they're supposed to administer a general anaesthetic via intravenous drip. I just don't remember how all that's going to take place, but I feel as if I should.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't there a hospital story you were going to tell that didn't involve a PowerPoint presentation?

benkei said...

Oh. Yeah. I also had a check-up a few weeks ago. . . and I did really well on the lung capacity test.