Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Cemetry Gates


memorial to the dead
Originally uploaded by benkei242.
Standing in Zoshigaya Cemetery under the staccato rain, I couldn't help noticing the oddly tombstone-like shape of the Sunshine60 Building. Is it a memorial to the war criminals who were incarcerated at Sugamo Prison on that very site? And are the thousands of shoppers and office workers who pass through its vast halls and arcades paying tribute to their ghostly traces?

I shivered as a breeze brought a surge of water off the trees above me.

1 comment:

benkei said...

I forgot to mention that I also found the graves of Natsume Soseki and Koizumi Yakumo (Lafcadio Hearn), both impressive edifices. I was directed to their locations by two jolly middle-aged women (I tend to get along with that type it seems) who were busy plucking fallen chestnuts (or something) from around the gravestones. I really wish I asked them what was special about graveyard chestnuts. Do they taste better? Think of all the extra nutrition they get!